I’m going to go ahead and say it: New Years Resolutions Don’t Work. I’ve been making New Years Resolutions for fourteen years, and I have never stuck to one, ever. This year I’m doing it a little bit differently. Instead of resolutions, in 2019 I’m setting goals for myself
I decided to set goals for myself instead of resolutions because I wanted to think about myself in a more kind way, go into a fresh, brand new year with a positive attitude about me and my actions. When I make resolutions, you look at myself to see the flaws, the things I need to fix. I was going into the new year with a negative mindset, believing that I, as I am, need to be fixed. And when I was inevitably failing to fulfill these resolutions, I would just feel worse about myself. And every year I relived it, reminding myself “oh you failed to fix this last year, try to fix it again now.” Setting my goals
I initially listed my goals in the margins of my notebook in school, thinking about it one rather boring day in class. Then, narrowing them down a little bit, finding my priorities, and then breaking them down into categories. I chose four categories: Finances, Career, School, and Personal. I transcribed the final lists in my new, beautiful, lovely planner, and a more detailed list of blog/brand goals in my moleskine notebook dedicated to everything side-hustle related.
Finances I spent most of 2018 learning about everything relating to my personal finances. I’m far from an expert, but I’m going into 2019 a lot more knowledgable than last year.
• Save up for and pay for my fall semester
• Pay off my Sallie Mae loan (12.875% interest!!)
• Have $1,000 in my savings account
Career There’s a lot going on this year work-wise. I had initially written a lot of notes and goals and a massive list of things for this. Upon some deep thought (and maybe a mini breakdown), I ended up removing a lot of the goals that
• Have a job lined up before I graduate in December
• Start freelancing for social media and web design
• Get my Instagram to 2,000 followers
• Post twice a week on the blog
• Post 3 times a week on Instagram
• Have my work published on 3 different websites
School This will be my last year of college. I am incredibly happy to be almost done, but not letting the (super) senior-itis get to me yet.
• Graduate! Duh
• Graduate Summa Cum
• Get into the Marketing honor society
Personal This section is kind of just everything else! Fitness, lifestyle, hobbies, and more.
• Read 12 books this year and keep up with Goodreads along the way
• Increase my fitness. Feel stronger, more confident and healthier
• Move out of my
• Run and finish a race, maybe even a marathon this year?
• Stay on top of my time management system
• Curate my wardrobe and actually define my style
• Go to bed and get up at reasonable times
• Go on more vacations/day-trips/adventures
And that’s it! A lot of goals for this year, but they’re all attainable. I’m really looking forward to this year. It’s going to be an amazing one, and I have so much to look forward to in 2019 and (dare I say it) 2020!
Did you set goals for the new year? What are some of your 2019 goals?